A question paper comprises of different types of questions to test your knowledge. There are mainly three types of questions
- Essay Questions (Long descriptive answer with full explanation – more marks)
- Short Questions (3 to 5 line answer – less marks)
- Multiple Choice Questions, MCQs (Answer one from the given choices)
Study or learning method is the same but preparation method varies for each type.
Preparation for essay question includes learning a topic, extracting its summary and learning how to represent it in good way in paragraphs or with headings.
Preparation for MCQs includes learning a topic and extracting the hidden information in each sentence which can be asked as MCQs.
For short question you should consider definitions, jargons, scientific terms, particular name of types of something, names of phases involved in a process etc. These are the areas which test maker touch for short questions but it does not necessarily mean that you skip rest of your course.
How to answer Questions
How to answer Essay Questions – long questions.
To answer an essay question you have to write a long description or explanation about what is asked in question. Essay question carries more marks comparatively.
- First read the question carefully that what is asked in question. You will give a detailed answer but to the point. Avoid unnecessary explanation.
- Write your answer in paragraphs.
- In first paragraph write a little introduction idea asked in question. It may be definition or in your own words.
- In 2nd paragraph write about the phases or types or process involved in the idea asked in question. It depends on the nature of question. If there are not such points about the ideas asked or it is a plan explanation, skip this paragraph.
- In next paragraphs start to explain the idea (in the direction they have asked) with the help of other relevant idea which supports the main idea.
- If any paragraph needs a diagram or table, draw it in front of it.
- Depending on the nature of your question, write heading and sub-headings for your paragraph with marker.
- Your all paragraphs should be in right sequence.
- When you start new paragraph, start it from the middle of line, it shows distinction between to paragraphs. Expand your answer according to the marks carried by question.
Example: Let me give a rough idea by briefly explaining an example.
Suppose a question is “Explain Digestive system in human being” It is a biology question, it is about system of digestion in human being. We eat food, it passes through mouth , Oesaphagus to stomach. Different secretions and enzyme work on food to digest the food.
Answering this question.
- In first paragraph we write a little introduction of digestive system or what is digestive system. We may write its definition etc
- In 2nd paragraph we write names of parts of human body or processes involved in digestive system
- In next paragraphs we start to explain each part or process involved in digestion in each paragraph.
- We draw the diagram of parts of human body in front of every paragraph
How to answer MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions).
Each MCQ has 4 or 5 choices. Out of which, one is correct and that is the answer. The wrong choice are called distracters, they distract you from the correct answer because they also have a little bit closeness to the correct answer. You have to choose the most correct or precise answer.
Tips for MCQs Test
- In MCQs test, usually time is short. You have 2 minutes or one and a half minute for each MCQ, so divide the time on all MCQs properly.
- Read the MCQ and before reading the choices, think in your mind for correct answer and then read the choices. It will help you to choose the correct choice or the answer.
- There will be some choices about which you will be sure that they are wrong, skip these wrong choices first and focus on the rest choices for correct answer. It increase the your chances to select the correct choice.
- Solve these MCQs first, which you can easily answer and leave which think is difficult for last. If you stick to one MCQ trying to find its answer and it takes your time, leave it because it hinders and when you finish all MCQs then come back to the un-attempted MCQs.
- For answering MCQs you are given a “computer sensitive sheet”. It has blocks or circles on it, you have to darken the block or the circle for correct answer. Learn the correct way how to darken blocks or circles on computer sensitive sheet because computer reads it for giving you marks.